Mesquite Family Dentistry
When you step into Mesquite Family Dentistry in Mesquite, TX, you'll know you've found the perfect place for your family's care.
Our team loves helping kids grow into healthy adults. At either end of the age spectrum, the bases are covered. Dr Sezler and Dr He know that early experiences influence the value kid's place on their oral health as adults. And they choose to seek or avoid future care by how they're treated now. Rest assured, the bar sits high here.
The services offered at Mesquite Family Dentistry ensure that patients of all ages feel welcome. From the earliest check-ups to the management of orthodontic decisions, Dr Sezler and Dr He will listen to your concerns and guide you through every stage.
Tooth decay often begins at an early age, making young children particularly susceptible. Nearly half of 2-11-year-olds have experienced tooth decay while 32% of kids between 9 -11 years old display cavities in their permanent teeth. Major contributing factors to this public health problem include baby formula with added sugar and heavily-sugared fruit juices. Even breast milk can cause cavities in baby teeth because of the natural sugars present.
Care for baby teeth should begin as soon as the first tooth appears. We recommend that you bring your child in for an exam no later than his or her first birthday. And regular six-month checkups from then on will put kids on a similar schedule to most adults. We can monitor your child for dental problems while customizing preventive coaching to fit specific conditions.
As a parent, some early steps can help guard your child against tooth decay, even before the first dental visit:
- Your baby's teeth should always be flushed with water or wiped down with a damp cloth after feeding, especially before they fall asleep. Milk or formula residue left in the mouth can promote decay even in the youngest patients. Untreated cavities can eventually lead to pain and infection.
- Try to wean your child off breastfeeding or bottled milk by age one year. This effort helps avoid decay and minimizes the chance of jaw growth problems from excessive sucking.
- Begin brushing as soon as the first tooth appears. Even a small piece of tooth showing can develop a cavity. Start by brushing with a soft bristled brush and water, and ask your dentist when it's ok to begin using a small amount of toothpaste.
- Once your child is old enough to begin brushing on his or her own, continue to monitor their brushing, going back to clean any areas they may have missed.
- Don't give bottles of sugary drinks or milk before bedtime
- Use a straw with sugary beverages to allow the teeth to have less contact with the liquid.
- Try to limit the overall sugary foods your child eats and drinks.
- Brighten stained or discolored teeth
- Repair cracks or fractures
- Fill gaps between teeth
- Correct overcrowding
- Reshape teeth
- Replace missing teeth
- Replace old metallic restorations, such as fillings and crowns
- Customized system: We offer in-office whitening that removes years of stain within an hour or less. We also can make trays that fit your teeth like a comfortable glove for whitening at home. Together we'll find the right system for your situation and the best results, sometimes even combining the two methods for maximum short and long-term benefits.
- Controlled gel formulas: We use the highest quality whitening formulas available for safety and consistency: professional strength with careful quality control from known sources. Beware of temperature-sensitive gels stored in uncontrolled environments or made in an unknown setting.
- Sensitivity management: You may experience temporary sensitivity in your teeth while whitening. We have specific strategies for you to use, and will customize the product and method to help you have a comfortable and safe whitening experience.
- Long-term results: Buying a box of whitening strips every few months adds up. A session with us in the office can provide an instant effect that may take days and multiple boxes of strips to obtain. Alternatively, you'll have a system that should fit for years if you leave with custom trays. A simple refill syringe of gel picked up occasionally from our office allows you to keep your smile fresh for years to come.